41 Module 5 Assessments
Module 5 Discussion
This discussion aligns with Learning Outcomes 1-5.
Direction: The doctrine of separation of powers is integral to America’s system of governance. To this end, many have pointed to the growth of the federal bureaucracy as a direct affront to this constitutional provision, as agencies in the bureaucracy make and execute laws, as well as issue rulings in the same way that the three branches of government do within their respective spheres of influence. To this end, the federal bureaucracy has been deemed an unaccountable, fourth branch of government. With this in mind,
- Select one of the bureaucratic agencies (cabinet departments or independent agency/regulatory boards and commissions) from Official US Executive Branch Web Sites.
- Next, identify the function of your chosen agency. Does it function include executive, legislative, or judicial powers.
- Finally, make an assessment of your selected agency: Does its function violate the doctrine of the separation of powers. Why or why not?
Be sure to properly cite your sources from the reading as well as any others used. Sources should cited using APA 6th edition style and format.
Submission: Our discussions are a valuable opportunity to have thoughtful conversations regarding a specific topic. You are required to provide a comprehensive initial post with 3-4 well-developed paragraphs that include a topic sentence and at least 3-5 supporting sentences with additional details, explanations, and examples. In addition, you are required to respond substantively to the initial posts of at least two other classmates on two different days. All posts should be reflective and well written, meaning free of errors in grammar, sentence structure, and other mechanics.
Grading: This discussion is worth 30 points toward your final grade and will be graded using the Discussion Rubric. Please use it as a guide toward successful completion of this discussion.
Read the questions below and select the best answer.
President Truman’s executive order on segregation falls within the realm of which of the three models of presidential power.
- HamiltonianFeedback: Good answer, that was CORRECT! President Truman displayed his proactive position on race relations early on when, in 1940, he observed . (1)
“I believe in brotherhood….of all men before the law….if any (one) class or race can be permanently set apart from, or pushed down below the rest in politics and civil rights, so may any other class or race.” (59)
Such language was used in 1940 well before his ascendancy to the Oval Office and displays his talent at bringing his political agenda to national awareness. (1)
Essay Assignment: The Constitution
Use the above link to access the assignment for this module.
This assignment is due in this Module .
This assignment aligns with Learning Outcomes 1–5.
Select one of the following topics to write about:
- A More Perfect Union? Have we achieved the Constitution’s goals today? To answer this question, think about the goals expressed in the preamble to the U.S. Constitution:
- Form a strong union
- Establish equal justice for all
- Insure domestic tranquility ( that is, peace at home )
- Provide for the common defense ( today we might say homeland security )
- Promote the general welfare
- Secure liberty for ourselves and posterity
With this in mind, and using an A–F (A, B, C, D, & F) grading scale, assign a grade to each area of the preamble. For instance, assign an “A” if you think the U.S. has lived up to its goal of forming a strong union, and so on and so forth. Your effort here must go beyond mere assertion; that is, simply ascribing a grade to each area. You must qualify the rationale behind your evaluation. You accomplish this task with the use of relevant, scholarly data. You should conclude your paper with one recommendation for improvement in your lowest rated area.
This paper should be approximately five pages in length. A total of four scholarly sources should be used to stake your claims. Your paper should be in APA format and will be graded based on the attached rubric.
- What Happened to Our Constitution: Executive Agreements, Executive Orders, and Signing Statements . A functioning legislative branch is paramount to a healthy democracy. To the degree that our Framers embraced this philosophy can be seen in the expansive list of powers granted Congress by the Constitution. However, in recent years, many have pointed to the erosion of the nation’s legislature. In particular, it has been noted that the presidential use of executive agreements, executive orders, and signing statements have harmed America’s doctrine of separation of powers by circumventing the legislative process itself. To this end:
- Select one of the topics to expound upon, either executive agreements, executive orders, or signing statements.
- Identify the constitutional basis for such, if any.
- Provide an example of this tool at work in American federal government;
- Explain the intersection of such use with the doctrine of separation of powers.
- Conclude by affirming the strength or weakness of the nation’s legislative process.
This paper should be approximately five pages in length. A total of four scholarly sources should be used to stake your claims. Your paper should be in APA format and will be graded based on the attached rubric (1)
Submit the assignment here as a Word document with the file name LastName_First_Name_Module5Essay. To submit, choose theAssignment: The Constitution Essay link above and use the file attachment feature to browse for and upload your completed document. Remember to choose Submit to complete the submission.
This assignment is worth 150 points toward your final grade and will be graded using the Essay Rubric . Please use it as a guide toward successful completion of this assignment.
Quiz Document Link
Use the above link to access the quiz for this module.
This quiz aligns with Learning Outcomes 1-5
This quiz consists of 10 multiple-choice and true/false questions. Each question is worth 2 points for the total of 20 points toward your final grading. This quiz covers reading materials from Module 5. You have 30 minutes and 2 attempts with the highest score to complete this assessment. (1)
Look Ahead: Final Team Project
This assignment will be due in Module 6.
This assignment aligns with Learning Outcomes 1–5
For this project you will work in a collaborative team to identify a political issue. Your team will then research, analyze, develop, and defend a position within that issue. The end product will be a paper that describes the issue and supports your team’s position. Remember, your goal is to select an issue, take a position, and develop a paper to support that position.
Political issues could include discussions on healthcare, immigration reform, American’s marijuana debate, tax reform, religious freedom act, LGBTQ rights, and, etc. If you are unsure of what constitutes a valid political issue, please check with the instructor for guidance in this area.
In 2–3 pages, the outline should minimally contain the following sections below and be drafted in APA 6 th edition style and format. See the sample APA outline here
- Brief introduction and thesis statement
- Introduce the topic to your reader in a brief sentence or two.
- Include a thesis statement that identifies at least one challenge/problem associated with your chosen topic and also identify a policy you are recommending that will effectively and efficiently address this challenge/issue.
- Overview of the issue (research including at least 5 references)Briefly address the origins of the contentions surrounding your selected political issue. For instance, if you have opted to take on the marijuana debate, you might begin with the federal government’s designation of marijuana as Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substance Act. Here, you would describe the rationale for such designation and the political discourse this policy has created.
- The team’s positionHere, your team should take a position on your selected topic. Pointing back to the marijuana debate, you may side with the federal government’s stance on criminalizing marijuana or you might side with the states’ rights position (federalism) on the substance, that is, allow states to administer their own policy in this regard.
- Rationale for your position (research including at least 5 references)In this regard, you are to justify your stance on your selected topic. For instance, if in favor of the decriminalization of marijuana at the federal level, you should provide, relevant scholarly data to refute the federal government’s belief that marijuana provides no accepted medical use here in the U.S. Further, take note that you are not beholden to addressing the medical use of marijuana, alone. There are, as know, other honorable mentions as to why marijuana should be decriminalized. Effective research, here, as well as it with any of the other topics you have to choose from, will be key in garnering a solid response in this area.
- Summary, conclusions and recommendations
- Reiterate your selected political issue, as well as your team’s position on such.
- Conclude by including a policy recommendation that will effectively and efficiently address this political issue. For example, one might propose that the federal government remove marijuana from Schedule I status on the Controlled Substance Act, or one might propose, in terms of immigration reform, that immigration policy be reformed to allow illegal immigrants, brought to the U.S. as children., to receive U.S. citizenship.
Citations that document your research are a critical part of this project. Be sure to identify all the references you use. These should be cited in the text as well as the References list. See the Tools and Resources page for more information and resources about APA format, to include information on a sample outline.
By now, your teams and topics should be well-established. While completing this assignment, remember that your team project should focus on an issue that addresses a current problem at the national level. Further, remember to decide on the scope of the issue. It should be small enough to research thoroughly, but not so narrow that it becomes a “special interest” issue. Perhaps the biggest challenge will be sorting out any bias in various sources of reporting. Also, prior to submission, never hesitate to ask your professor for help, and/or search out other experts on the topic. (1)
Submit the assignment here as a Word document with the file name Final_Project.docx. To submit, choose the Final Team Projectlink above and use the file attachment feature to browse for and upload your completed document. Remember to choose Submit to complete the submission.
This assignment is worth 160 points toward your final grade and will be graded using the Final Team Project Rubric . Please use it as a guide toward successful completion of this assignment.