19 Course Assignment
In Module 2 we discussed how important audience analysis, in particular, demographical information can be to your speech presentation. Knowing the makeup of your audience allows you to tailor your speech. The topic you choose, your word choice and your examples should all factor in the specific audience you will address.
This assignment will ask you to complete an analysis of a particular audience. The guidelines are outlined below.
DIRECTIONS: Imagine that you’ve been asked to give a short speech to a group of International students visiting Florida State College at Jacksonville from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Before you do so, surely you’d want to research Dubai in order to relate to your audience. Feel free to research as much as you’d like in order to discuss the following questions. There is a fact sheet at the end of this assignment that you may wish to use as well. Then answer the following discussion questions providing details, examples and your own insight and analysis.
Remember demographics typically cover gender/gender roles, political affiliations, religious affiliations, age, ethnic background, income level, educational level, etc.
- What stereotypes might you already have when you consider this audience? It’s okay to be honest here. Once you acknowledge what you believe or have heard/read/been taught, you can better focus on the reality. How would allowing these stereotypes to influence your speech hinder your presentation?
- List 3 demographics that you feel would differ for these students vs. students originating from the United States. Which of these 3 demographics would you consider most important to keep in mind as you speak to these students? Why?
- What might you include in this presentation that you would normally not consider relevant or necessary to address for U. S. students? Why? What should you consider as you choose your examples and details? What about the use of slang, idioms, and jargon?
Dubai United Arab Emirates
|Country||United Arab Emirates|
|Founded by||Ubaid bin Saeed and Maktum bin Butti Al Maktoum|
|Subdivision||Towns and villages|
||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
||Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Languages Spoken||Arabic, English|
|Time Zone||UAE standard time (UTC+4)|
In a well-constructed initial response utilizing the knowledge you gained from the initial readings as well as your own experiences, discuss the following question:
In this module, we discussed the types of listening and the different styles of listening. Answer the questions below. Then remember to reply to two classmates.
- Think about a time when you were asked to listen to a friend, a coworker, a lecture, a sermon, etc. Briefly explain the context of the situation.
- What type of listening was needed in this situation? Appreciative/Empathic/Comprehensive/Critical? (You could have more than one answer here.) How did you come to this answer?
- What personal listening style were you using in the situation outlined above? People – Oriented, Action – Oriented, Content – Oriented, and Time – Oriented. Do you find yourself using one style more often than others? Which one? What do you think that says about you as a listener?