As you learned in Module 1, not all information is equally authoritative. Authority matters in the research process. In Module 2, you will learn about the concept of academic authority as a construct, how to evaluate the credibility of both formal and informal sources, and how to critically evaluate authority when sources disagree. (1)
This module aligns with Learning Outcome 4.
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to:
- Explain how authority is contextual and constructed, and what factors should be considered when evaluating the credibility of sources.
- Compare the authority of formal and informal sources.
- Evaluate authority when sources disagree. (1)
- CRAAPP Detector
- Learning Unit: Authority Matters in the Research Process
Assignments and Learning Activities
- Complete Readings
- Participate in Module 2 Discussion
- Complete Thinking Critically about Authority Assignment